Thursday, June 26, 2008

Art Journal Pages and Thoughts


These are a couple more art journal pages.
Every now and then (well, truth be told, it's more often than that), I go through a real period of doubting myself and any talent whatsoever. I feel like one reason that I get that doubt so strongly is that I am basically completely self-taught. Most things that I know about art (or craft) I have learned from a book or a magazine or by trial and error. I don't know why I feel that that makes me less worthy of the artist title, but I realize that I do feel that way. Anybody else have any thoughts on this subject???

"Female friendships that work are relationships in which women help each other belong to themselves." Louise Berkinow

2 comments:

DJ said...

I know what you mean, with the self doubt, I think everyone feels like that at times. But just because you are self taught doesn't mean you aren't an artist. I know plenty of people that have formal training but their art lacks something, it may be technically good, but it has no "life" to it, if you know what I mean. Your art has a lot of life AND talent. Albert Einstein said "Imagination is more important than knowledge." Having the schooling or formal background doesn't define you as an artist. Don't second guess yourself. You're awesome! :)

Kerri Jean said...

Yes, yes, yes, Laura. Silence the inner critic. Although I am schooled in graphic design, I am also self taught in most other mediums, and I was surprised to find that even many well-schooled and financially successful artists also have periods of self doubt. Mine is worse when I do too much looking at others work, and comparing myself to others level of skill. I find the internet, as wonderful as it is, to be a confidence killer at times, so when I'm feeling fragile, I sometimes have to avoid looking at others' work and just immerse myself in mine for awhile. Ditto to marilyn & dj's comments. You are and artist and your works are wonderful!!!