Wednesday, June 11, 2008

More Beeswax and Gel Medium Transfers


Both of these are more gel medium transfers embellished with beeswax and are 4" square. The first one has a keyhole pushed right into the canvas. I've been asked by a reader of this blog to explain how I do gel medium transfers (thanks for the question, Evelyn!). So, my process is as follows:
First of all, as an adhesive or covering or whatever, I use any of the different brands of mediums ... Golden, Liquitex, have tried a few Dick Blick. For transfers, however, I only use Golden's. It gives me consistently good results that I can rely on.
I have done gel transfers to stretched canvasses, unstretched canvas, paper, large plastic buttons, and fabric (off the top of my head). Using the exact same process with Elmer's clear caulk, I have done transfers on metal and wood. I have the best consistent results for any of the listed transfers with laser photocopies. I watch for sales at The UPS Store or other copy centers and make my copies then. Make sure to get your photocopies on just regular copy paper, not photo paper or anything special.The image will transfer backwards, if you don't want that to happen, you'll have to reverse the image while photocopying. Whatever you transfer to, will show through light parts of the image. That's why I often use script paper - I love that showing through the image!
Okay, that's all background, now the actual process:
Cut or tear your image out from the photocopy sheet. Apply (I use a 1" foam brush) a thin coat of gel medium to the front of the image. I then apply another thin coat going the other direction on the front (just to make sure that the image is well covered). Carefully flip it over face down on to the surface you want your transfer on. The important thing is you don't want any gel medium to get on the back of the image. Go over the whole back, rubbing gently with your finger or a bone folder or a spoon to ensure good contact is made between the image front and your receiving surface. If any gel medium squirts out clean it up carefully (I use a baby wipe). Since gel medium is an adhesive, if any gets on the back of the photocopy, it will glue it down. Now let it sit. I leave it overnight or at least a few hours.
Wet the back of the photocopy with water all over (not alot of water especially if you have paper as your background). Then start rubbing the photocopy with your index finger. The photocopy paper will start disintegrating and coming off. Your image transfer is underneath. Keep repeating the process (wet and rub). Let it dry and you'll see more fuzz. Wet and rub some more. I have found that rubbing it with a product called JudiKins Microglaze helps get rid of the fuzzies abit quicker (don't do this until you have most of the fuzzies off already). I recently read to rub the transfer image with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to get rid of the residual fuzzies, but I have not tried it yet. Some transfers seem to have more fuzzies than others, for some reason. Maybe it depends on the paper used in the copy center. ♥Sidenote: Spellcheck does NOT like my use of the word(?) fuzzies, but you'll know what they are when you see them!♥
That's it...it is really quite easy! And fun! And has many uses! If there are any questions, just email me.
Today's quote. Reading this, "threw me right back into tenth grade" to the little hot dog/hamburger place we used to go to across from my high school for lunch and to the school cafeteria before that. I can still picture the soup that he refers to!!
"Straightening up, he was struck with a humid waft of boiled hot dogs and some kind of furry bean-based soup that threw him right back into tenth grade." from Samaritan by Richard Price.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Laura!
I really like the look of gel transfers but have hesitated to attempt them. You make it sound easy, so now I have no excuse not to try!
It was great of you to answer my question so quickly. Thanks - Evelyn